Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Brief Notes

This might not be the most important note/question, but did anyone else think that Willinsky should have started the book with Chapter 10 "Rights"? I felt like this would have set up his philosphical approaches more strongly from the start.

For a brief moment at the beginnning of Chapter 12 "Reading" I was really excited. I thought that Willinsky was actually going to talk more seriously and technically about dialogic reading practices and reading in hypermedia environments. So much work has been done on these issues, and he didn't even acknowledge it (here is one bibliography). I'm surprised, based on his background and list of other publications. I would expect him to be familiar with what is going on in studies of multiliteracies (book by same name), new media studies, and programs in rhetoric and technical communication.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Am I correct in assuming that it is quiet around here because of all of the ALA festivities?

1 comment:

k8 said...

This definiterly was not a declaration of Derrida-love!

I was thinking about it in terms of the construction of the text. Maybe if he addressed these theoretical approaches from the beginning, he could have then woven them together with his arguments in a way that would have been more meaningful. Placed where it is, it does feel tacked on. Maybe I've been too conditioned to expect the theory chapter earlier in a text, though.